- To be a premier Canadian repository of fungus isolates of value for research and industrial applications, especially isolates described in scientific publications.
- To serve the global scientific community by providing access to fungi in the form of cultures distributed to the researcher, or by access to expertise and information associated with the collections.
- To collect, catalogue and preserve fungi using techniques that ensure their long-term care.
- To conserve fungal biodiversity on a regional and national basis and to participate in surveys analyzing regional fungal communities.
- To conduct systematic research and to cooperate in collaborative research programs.
- To archive and disseminate historical, systematic, molecular, physiological, ecological data to foster research.
- To foster knowledge of fungi through academic and professional training.